You’ll Only Fit A Flat Roof To Your Property Once... So Let’s Get It Right
flat roof specialists for over 25 years
is your Bitumen Felt roof in need of repair or replacement? Get the job done first time, on time and in budget.
Managing Director: Stace Roofing Ltd
Choosing a flat roof is like stepping into a minefield. There are so many choices, and hazards at every turn. Make the wrong move, and the results could be disastrous.
I know this all too well – because every week, my team and I get called in to pick up the pieces. We’re asked to minimise the damage caused by other roofers – usually amateurs, who’ve put in the wrong type of roof or botched the installation.
So if you’re about to invest in a new flat roof, it’s vital that you understand this:
Good or bad, the choices you make now will live with you for years.
At Stace Roofing we take away the risk and will deliver 100% peace of mind - guaranteed.
So call me now on 01664 431 370 or select an option below
"It was a pleasure dealing with a Company that provides a highly professional and considerate service. I have received a number of (good) comments regarding the works from neighbours and also a note through the front door - all of whom asked who was carrying the work and for your contact details which I have passed on - I hope you get at least one enquiry from those."
"How refreshing to deal with a thoroughly professional company who understand customer service and quality work. The team treated my house as a home not a building site and nothing was too much trouble. I would have no hesitation in recommending them"
Rex Communications Media Limited
"Stace Roofing have consistently supported our works with excellent workmanship, friendly advice, great flexibility and assistance above and beyond the call of duty, providing a user friendly non-contractual service, favouring open and honest discussion."
Mr Martin Kempler
Ability Construction, Peterborough
"Stace Roofing provide a quality professional service delivered by skilled staff who are polite, considerate and leave the site clean and tidy."
Mr P Roffey
Torch-on Bitumen Felt - The Traditional Flat Roof Option
If you are looking for a time-tested and cost-effective solution for your project, Torch-on felt is the right system for you. Felt roofs have always carried that stigma that they are high risk on residential flat roofs, but the truth is, as long as you understand their purpose and lifespan, they do exactly what they were designed to do.
Felt is a 1 metre wide sheet of bitumen (Tar) usually with a polyester (Plastic) reinforcement layer sandwiched in the centre and our systems all come with a minimum guarantee of 15 years. This system has been used in various different forms over the past 200 years and originally, the hot tar was reinforced with straw, reeds and rags.
Thankfully, technology has now allowed us to develop a very efficient and long-lasting material that can safely and quickly be fitted to your roof.
Felt also comes in some exciting new colors, most felts are coated in crushed slate chippings in 3 main colours:-
At Stace Roofing we're fully aware that flat roofs are not shiny new cars but if they were, this would be the Skoda of the flat roofing world!
Let's face it, flat roofs are flat roofs, but if you are going to have a new one or replace an old flat roof, do you want a Skoda or a Ferrari? If you want something that's great quality, reliable, and performs consistently without the priuce tag of a supercar, Torch-on felt is your roof covering.
Our Felt roofs are expected to last up to 35 Years and come with a Bomb-proof 10, 15, 20 or 25 Year, no quibble, fixed guarantee. Torch-on Felt works really well on residential property and the cost is dramatically reduced when comparing to our other systems as a new timber deck is not always required with this system, it can be overlaid onto existing surfaces (depending on suitability).
So many choices. So how do you know which is right for you?
Well, you could talk to me…
Here’s the problem. It’s hard to get an independent expert opinion on this. Most experts are busy working 15 feet up in the air! So when you ask for a home visit, often as not you’ll be sent a salesman – someone with minimal training, who just wants to sell you a particular kind of roof.
Which kind? Well, whichever makes his company the most money. He’ll tell you, no doubt about it, that’s the one you need!
When he should be telling you, which roof is going to suit your property, your needs, and your budget.
I don’t like this practice one bit. So I set aside time, at either end of my working day, to visit customers at home and look at their needs in detail.
Not for the industry standard “Free No-Obligation Survey”! That’s what the sales guys use.
No, this is a full-blown consultation. I’ll take a look at your current roof – or the space set aside for a new one. I’ll check for structural issues that might affect your plans. Then I’ll hand you a full report: a written diagnostic, with independent recommendations.
By the time we’re done, you’ll know exactly how to proceed. Whether that means hiring me to do the work or not.
This Flat Roofing Consultation has a £250 value. But if you’re serious about your roofing project, I’ll carry it out for you free of charge.
Or if time is tight, I’ll send one of my expert team along.
This Is Not A ‘Luxury’ Step
We might find that your roof is good for another 5-10 years…saving you the hassle and expense of doing it now. Or we might find a minor fault that can be easily treated – so you only need a repair, not a whole new roof.
Let’s find out. Call 01664 431 370 or select an option below
TRADITIONAL FLAT ROOFS
Do you have a garage or outbuilding roof that just needs a new waterproof skin and an additional 30-35 years of expected lifespan without investing a huge amount?
Is your flat roof out of sight or does the appearance of felt not concern you as much as it does for some people? Are you carrying out other improvements and sensibly need to budget where possible?
Felt roofs can often come in at a saving of up to 70% of the other flat roof systems we offer because on most projects the original roof doesn't have to be removed. A felt roof will give you a much lower cost per year than any other material on the flat roof market without any noticeable difference in performance or quality.
If you want a cost effective project that you don't need to think about again for at around 30-35 years, felt could be your first choice. Once Felt is coming up to the end of it's life, it's usually possible to overlay it with another layer which will give you the full lifespan all over again.
As with any Flat Roof system, there will also be negative opinions which sadly can influence property owners into believing that it is a flawed system.
At Stace Roofing we offer 5 flat roofing systems and I have personally heard it said that every single one of them is destined to fail or is not a good quality lasting system. This is almost always biased information from someone that is trying to discredit a particular system or from someone that has been on the wrong end of a bad job.
- Felt does not crack or split - If the right material is fitted properly and it's still within it's guarantee period
- Felt does not fail if you correctly prepare the surface you are laying it onto
- Felt does not let in water through the laps and joints if it has been correctly fitted
- Felt does not fail after 10 years, it lasts over 30 years if the whole project has been specified, planned and fitted CORRECTLY by fully trained fitters.
We have been fitting these roofs since 1999 and we still always look for improvements in the fitting process every year as technology advances.
Since 1999 we have created a fitting process that is as perfect as it possibly can be.
There are fitters out there giving Felt a really bad name because of the following reasons:
- They are not adequately trained. Some Felt systems are available to buy off the shelf in most DIY merchants and the training is usually a Youtube video.
- They do not know how to run a business. All they want to do is make a days wages, they are not investing in themselves so they will be around in the future if you ever have problems.
- They try to save as much money as possible by skimping on materials. They use the cheapest felt they can find.
- They try to do the job as fast as possible so they can get onto the next job and make even more money. They skip the essential work needed to ensure the felt has been heated to the correct temperature to ensure the bitumen has fully bonded together.
- They are fairly sure you are not going to get up on the roof to check their work.- We encourage it.
Andy's note: All of the roofing systems on the British market are fit for purpose as long as they have been fitted to the manufacturer's guidelines by a competent and trained fitter. We also recommend that a product that has been tested through the BBA Weather testing process is used.
Every single flat roofing system on the market will fail if it hasn't been fitted properly.
But that doesn't mean that every system is the same, or is suitable for every roof or property owners requirements. So we are completely unbiased when recommending a system, we always recommend the right system for the right type of roof or budget.
- Once your roof has been fully checked and signed off, you will get a full written guarantee from Stace Roofing.
- Your guarantee from us will include a no quibble repair policy should anything go wrong with your roof for the period stated on your quotation and invoice.
- We will pay for any scaffolding that is needed to get back onto your roof and all of the labour and materials needed to fix the defect.
- In the highly unlikely event that any problems arise in the future, you will not need to worry.
Included in your standard guarantee:
- Roofing Materials - Any defects covered by Stace Roofing & The manufacturer for 10, 15, 20 or 25 Year
- The workmanship - covered by Stace Roofing
Included in your Premium Guarantee(optional):
- The Roofing Materials - Any defects covered by Stace Roofing and the manufacturer
- The workmanship - covered by Stace Roofin
- Full deposit protection. An insurance policy that starts as soon as your deposit has been received. (Competent Roofer Scheme - Insulated Refurbishment work only
- Building Regulation Compliance Certificate to cover all the work. (Competent Roofer Scheme - Insulated Refurbishment work only)
- Post Completion Insurance Backed Guarantee covering all work for 10 years. Covered by Certass (Competent Roofer Scheme - Insulated Refurbishment work only)
Premium guarantees are issued as standard with all fully insulated refurbishments and re-roofs. Please see our Warm roof and Insulation details for more information on how your roof might fall under the Competent Roofer scheme and get a premium guarantee.
So Torch-onFelt is the best choice for you if:
- You want the most cost-effective roof covering that will complement the appearance of your building
- You want a tough roof covering that will easily repair after any impact from falling roof tiles and objects
- You have a roof that has complicated detail that could cause future problems
- You want virtually zero maintenance for the next 30 years
- You want a Skoda not a Ferrari (No offence meant to Ferrari owners)
The 2 main methods of application are either "pour & roll" where the felt is laid into a bed of hot tar that is poured onto the roof, or the more modern and popular torch-on method. Torch-on felt carries less risk to the building as big hot pots of bubbling tar do not have to be used. The felt is melted into place using a flame, and as long as the right precautions and preventative measures are used, this cost-effective system becomes a serious contender in the flat roof market.
Most commercial flat roofs are still covered with torch-on felt because of the ease of application and the low cost per square metre.
Torch-on felt is especially popular for outbuildings and garages, or roofs that cannot be seen.
Andy's note: Felt is a great cost-effective option if appearance is not top of your priorities. The newer materials on the market have a life expectancy of around 35 years so in our opinion it's still a really good option. Some people still wont accept this so I always make our customers aware of this when we are making our recommendations. If good looks is important to you or you think the building may change hands in the next 15 years, play it safe and spend a little more on a system that fills potential buyers with confidence.
Colours: blue/grey, green, brown, black
Coverable: Ok for slabs, decking, green roofs with appropriate base pads/protection - (Subject to ELD leak test)
Detail suitability: Better for low complexity
Fire resistance: Classified BROOF(t4) in accordance with BS EN 13501-5: 2005 fire classification (with fire retardant coating)
Edge Trims: Handmade using same felt.
Warm-Roof Compatible: Yes, Thermal break fixing washers on foil faced PIR or fully bonded onto TR24 bitumen-tissue-faced PIR boards
Warranty: Up to 25 Years
Life Expectancy: 35 Years
UV resistant: Yes
Root Resistant: Yes
Weight/m2: 5.00kg per layer
Green Roof Compatible: Yes, (Subject to ELD leak test)
Inverted Roof: Yes